The Auto Increment tool is available upon request for some clients including users with our BS5837 functionality. It allows you to renumber an ID field.
Note: This tool does NOT use the Advanced Filter, so be sure to apply selection unless you want to renumber every record!
This tool is located under Hub -> Data Tools -> Auto Increment.
Before starting, you may like to use the Exporter tool to export the layer you’re about to update as a backup.
To Update by Map:
1. Layer – select the layer containing the records that you wish to update
2. Field to Increment – this is the field that will be renumbered. This is usually an ID field, such as TreeID or GroupID
3. Start At – the number to start the renumbering at ie 1
4. No Field to Compare – tick this to increment all records
5. Update From Map – tick this so you can choose what to update from the map
6. Add – choose from polygon, point or ID but we’d recommend polygon
7. Click the Add button and draw a polygon around the area to select those records
8. Click the Go button to start processing and say yes to overwrite the records.
Here is a 30 second (mute) demonstration of renumbering trees. Bear in mind that that the trees are renumbered in order of their Primary ID, not their geographical order.